La Chapelle Saint Martin, with its A-frame roof, going all the way down to the ground, and its 19th century gates, is a listed Historic Monument. This landmark is the inspiration behind the Relais & Châteaux hotel and Michelin-star restaurant, which both bear its name.
The Chapel was built in 1798 by Jacques Joseph, Judge of Saint-Martin, as a sacred place to leave his ancestors' and descendants' ashes.
All the work that Judge Saint-Martin put into La Chapelle made it the birthplace of forest farming in Limousin. The 40-acre park is home to two-hundred-year-old ancient trees.
The property was purchased by the Dudognon family, restaurant owners in Limoges, in 1963. In 1970, Jacques et Vivianne transformed the main house into a hotel which became, in 1973, member of the Relais & Châteaux association.